Construction Workers Tax Refunds For 2017-18 Explained | CIS Tax Refunds

from the blog.

Construction Workers Tax Refunds For 2017-18 Explained

Recruitment -Construction -Worker

Wondering if you are due a tax rebate with the construction work you’ve carried out? Whether operating as a  PAYE, self-employed or under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), you may be eligible for a tax refund. All you have to do is to look at work-related expenses where you can claim back tax. The operating word here is work-related or business-related, which means anything else used for personal use does not qualify for a rebate.

What Construction Workers Can Claim on Tax

  • Materials, Tools and Equipment
  • Protective clothing/uniform
  • Business travel
  • Business trip expenses
  • Internet phone and stationary
  • Membership fees
  • Motor expenses / mileage allowance
  • Home office expenses when working from home
  • Administration expenses including remuneration for a family
    member helping with administrative duties or bookkeeping

Website and advertising

Tax rebate on all these expenses are only applicable if you paid them yourself without any reimbursement, or when an employer made the reimbursement that was subsequently taxed.

How to Claim as Subcontractor under CIS

Keep a record of everything that has been claimed back against your monthly or quarterly PAYE bill. Under CIS, you are still obliged to pay taxes and National Insurance even when contractors have already made deductions throughout the tax year. The contractors will provide you with a monthly statement for all deductions and payments made to you, which you can use to claim back tax.

If you overpaid CIS deduction, HM Revenue & Customs will pay you back whatever deductions your company has yet to claim back.

In the event that you were made redundant, or your company goes into administration, you may still claim tax rebates. Seek professional advice and assistance.

Find out about our CIS Tax Refunds

Think you may be due a tax refund? Apply here to get your tax back.

Related Posts

New rules for Filing Tax Returns in the UK

Digitalisation of your UK Tax Return! Four years ago in 2015, the government disclosed a plan to place your UK tax return on a digital platform, in April 2019 the initiative took place. This change, when fully effective could alter...

Key UK tax dates and Return Deadlines for the Tax Year

A Look at UK Tax Dates You must stay updated on important deadlines effective for the tax year of 6th April 2019 to 5th April 2020. A professional tax accountant in the UK will not only ensure your taxes are...

How to claim refunds for the current Tax Year

Making the Most of your UK Tax Return! Have you paid too much tax? Then you may be eligible for a UK Tax return! Find out how to claim refunds for the current Tax Year. There are various paths to...

Leave a Reply

Translate »