Do You Have an Old Tax Credit Debt? – TaxBack

from the blog.

Do You Have an Old Tax Credit Debt

Do You Have an Old Tax Credit Debt?

Tax credit debts and the manner in which they are collected keep changing which is all the more reason that you should not ignore any letters you receive from HMRC. Read on for a breakdown of tax credit debt and UK tax advice including self-assessment tax advice.

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) announced that a segment of tax credit debt was to be transferred from HMRC to DWP or, where applicable, the Northern Ireland Department for Communities (NI DfC). This outstanding tax credit overpayments would be collected by DWP or NI DfC.

To discuss filing your UK Self Assessment tax return or PAYE tax return contact our team or if you’re ready to file your return, you can use our online forms. Take a look at our services tab in our main menu.

Related Post: Five Mistakes to Avoid on your First Self-Assessment Tax Return

Why is This Tax Credit Change Happening?

DWP and NI DfC have more options than HMRC to collect outstanding debts from individuals. They can collect outstanding debts from an individual’s pay, using a direct earnings attachment (DEA), without having to take the individual to court. HMRC is gradually reducing their tax credit operations.

Who Will the Change Affect?

This change may affect you if: You claimed tax credits in the past, you no longer receive tax credits, you have an outstanding tax credit debt which is not being repaid to HMRC, you are in employment and earned at least £5,200 in the previous 12 months. Tax credit overpayments are common. You should have been notified that you had an overpayment on your final tax credit award for the relevant tax year. 

How Will I Know if the Change Affects Me?

HMRC will write to you if your debt is to be transferred. The letter will state the outstanding debt and explain what will happen. DWP or NI DfC will then contact you about your debt and give you 21 days to discuss repayment arrangements. They may decide to pursue recovery via a direct earnings attachment. Seek UK tax advice or Self-assessment tax advice.

What if I Don’t Think I Owe the Money?

The debt may be from some time ago so time limits associated with disputes and appeals will have passed by the time the debt is transferred. A late appeal or an official error challenge may be possible. You should consult a specialist welfare rights adviser.

What if the Debt is a Joint Debt?

If the overpayment arose on a joint award and you are no longer part of a couple, HMRC will apportion the outstanding amount. If you are still part of the same couple, you will both be eligible for transfer. You will receive individual communications to advise that the debt has been transferred and will now be considered on an individual basis. The debt will be apportioned on a 50/50 split.

Related Post: Understanding PAYE And How To Make The Most Out Of Your Tax Refund

Related Posts

Important Dates In The UK Financial Year – Key 2020 UK Tax Dates

The UK Tax Year 2019-2020 - Dates to Remember to Avoid Penalties UPDATED: 2nd April 2020 The UK Tax Year runs from 6 April to 5 April of the next year. Within this period, all of your income, whether earned or...

6 ROI’s To Spend Your 2020 Tax Refund On

Got a Tax Refund due in 2020? Here's 6 ways to spend it wisely and maybe even make more money. Are you expecting a tax refund in 2020? Although you deserve to spend it any way you want, you might...

What is the 2019/2020 Tax Code?

In UK tax news, the Personal Allowance amount, or the figure you can earn before paying income tax, will go up to £12,500 for the 2019-20 tax year. The numbers section of tax codes gives this number. For employees it...

Translate »