How to claim working from home tax relief

Working from home

If you need to know how to claim working from home tax relief then you’ve come to the right place. You can claim a working from home PAYE tax refund online via our website. Simply select the Working from home allowance tab in our menu. The beauty of claiming a tax refund online is that it’s super easy and you can do it in your pants while eating fried chicken to make your feel better about doing your accounts. And don’t forget, if you qualify, you should be getting a cash reward which is always nice.

Claiming a PAYE tax refund is easy, you just need a few things to hand…

Claiming a tax refund online is easy, however, you do allow some time to prep as you will need to provide some documents and have some of your financial information to hand.  With our online working from home tax relief forms, it’s easy to save your application at any point and come back later. 

Working from home tax

Claim working from home tax relief

In the first three months of 2021, more than 800,000 people claimed working from home tax relief, and in the 2020-21 tax year only 3 million people made a claim. That’s a whopping number but not that big considering how many people in the UK work. The chance of you being owed a tax refund is pretty high. 

Can you file  a working from home tax allowance online? 

Yes, you can file a working from home tax allowance online, right here on

We could all use some relief…

To file a tax relief claim for working from home when your employer has asked you to, you can not have received expenses from your employer. To claim working from tax allowance and any additional expenses that you’re eligible for, you can do so by filing a working from home tax allowance refund application. You can also backdate tax returns up to four years so if you haven’t made a claim before, you could be owed a healthy refund. 

File a working from home tax refund claim now 

Working at home from bed

How will you spend your tax refund?

What do you need when you claim working from home tax relief?

Employer’s PAYE Reference Number

This can be found on your P60, which is a document that shows the income tax you’ve paid in the 6 April to 5 April tax year. The same form will serve as proof of your income when you apply for a mortgage or loan, and tax credits.

Details on Taxable Income and Taxable Benefits

You pay tax on the money you earn from employment and from services you sell if you’re self-employed. Other taxable income includes most pensions, job benefits, rental income, and income from a trust. 

State benefits, on the other hand, are either taxable or tax-free. Some of the benefits you pay income tax on including State Pension, carer’s allowance, employment and support allowance, jobseeker’s allowance, bereavement allowance, incapacity benefit widowed parent’s allowance, widow’s pension, and pensions paid by the Industrial Death Benefits scheme.

PAYE Tax Refund Tax Calculator

claiming working from home tax

Not sure if you’ve paid too much tax on income and other taxable benefits? Use our tax calculator and you can get a quick idea of how much tax back you could be owed. Make sure you have your P60 on hand, and you have the details of any savings you have or gift aid donations you made to charity.

Think you may be due a tax refund? Apply here to get your tax back.

How do you know if you’re eligible to claim a working from home tax relief?

Not everyone will be able to claim a working from home tax relief. To help you out, we’ve broken this down for you into four simple checkpoints.  

  • You can’t claim working from home tax relief if you pay UK tax by a self-assessment tax returns
  • Your employer must not be paying you working from home tax expenses 
  • You must have had to pay higher costs for working from home (higher energy, expenses, rent, travel)
  • Your employer must have told you to work from home. You can’t claim working from home tax relief if you just fancy working from home because you don’t have to deal with office politics and paying ridiculous amounts for travel and food. We get it! 
Translate »