Tax Guide on Tips, Service Charge, and Bonuses – TaxBack

from the blog.

Tax Guide on Tips, Service Charge, and Bonuses

Does your job involve tips? Here we take a look at when tips are taxable in the UK…

It is possible that tips you receive at work are subject to tax and National Insurance (NI) contributions, depending on who and how the tips are shared out. Time to learn more about it.

When are tips taxable?

• If they are paid directly to you in cash
• Based on the estimated amount of tips indicated in your Self Assessment tax return
• If they are included in card or cheque payments and paid directly to you by your employer. Your employer will be responsible for ensuring you pay your income tax through PAYE.

• If tips are pooled together and shared out in a tronc. The “troncmaster” or the person looking after the pooled tips will be responsible for ensuring income tax is paid.

When are tips are subject to income tax and NI contributions?

• When an employer decides how the tips will be handled and shared out. Both tax and NI contributions will be paid through PAYE.

In the event that tips are kept in a tronc, HMRC must be informed about it as well as being made aware who the designated troncmaster is.

Service charges, on the other hand, are subject to tax and NI contributions when paid voluntarily instead of compulsory or added to a customer’s bill. The same is true for bonuses, as they are considered part of your income.

Because tax and NI contributions must be paid by employers, paying your wages ‘cash in hand’ without the necessary deductions is considered illegal. In fact, accepting cash in hand payments is grounds to forfeit your employment rights.

Related Posts

5 Reasons why Aussies are still loving working in London 

Living and working in London is something everyone should experience at least once in their life. London is as vibrant, diverse and downright brilliant as it’s always been. Don’t be put off by stories of high rents and rip off...

UK Legislates To Adopt New EU VAT Rules For Vouchers

Many professionals that migrate to the UK to study, work or do both are unaware of the country’s tax legislations. You may not need to be thorough with the UK tax policies, however, it will be beneficial to know the...

How to save during tax return time with a credit card

Getting a 0% balance credit card transfer could help you during UK tax return time. If you have significant credit card debt, a 0% balance transfer credit card will help you in paying it off. 0% balance cards offer no...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *