UK Working Holiday Guide For Australians – TaxBack

from the blog.

UK Working Holiday Guide For Australians

UK Working Holiday: Guide for Young People in Australia

Australia, being one of the countries that have a special reciprocal agreement with the UK, enables its passport holders to apply for the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme, previously known as the UK Working Holiday Visa programme.

Australians In UK

This allows young people from Australia to live, work and travel in the UK for a period of up to 24 months.

Conditions of Youth Mobility Scheme

To apply, you must meet the required score of 50 on a point-based assessment process. Points are allocated based on nationality, age and maintenance, which refer to the amount of cash funds that you have during application. To reach 50 points, you should score 30 on nationality, which would not be a problem since Australia is one of the participating countries in the Working Holiday programme. You will score 10 points in the age attribute if you are at least 18 years old and below 31 years old when you apply for your visa and another 10 in the maintenance attribute if you have a cash fund of at least £1800.

Additional Requirements for UK Working Holiday

You must also meet certain visa conditions for your application to be approved.

  • A Working Holiday or Youth Mobility Visa is only for a one-time use, which means you can no longer re-apply if you have previously completed or spent time in the UK with a working holiday visa.
  • As a visa holder, you are allowed to stay in the UK for up to 2 years and work during the entire time that you are in the country. You are allowed to undertake any kind of work, except as a professional sports person or a doctor in training. Setting up your own business is also prohibited.
  • Upon the expiration of your UK visa, you must leave the country. It is entirely up to you to switch to another visa category, but you won’t be able to apply for the Youth mobility visa again. You can come back as a visitor instead.
  • If you are on a working visa in Finland, you can directly switch to the Youth mobility scheme provided that you have already spent 6 months in Finland. You can then travel to the UK, without having to return to Australia. The same thing is true if your point of origin is Denmark. But you have to go to the British Embassy in
    Copenhagen for fingerprinting.
  • If you hold a British passport, you don’t need to apply for the Youth Mobility Scheme, but remember to register with the proper authorities for tax purposes.

With visa concerns out of the way, it is now time to search for jobs in the UK or London. Like anywhere else around the world, finding employment can be done online. Placement firms, such as Under31, specialise in providing working holiday jobs for Australians anywhere in the world.

Or, you can find jobs through the National Trust where you can specify the type of holiday work you are interested in, the length of time you want to work, and where. Start with a broad search, as availability may be limited with certain criteria. What is great about using National Trust is that there are several activities you can choose from, such as Farming, Construction, Historic Houses, Event, Gardening, and Special Interest.

Because you don’t need a sponsor to apply in a Youth Mobility Scheme, acquiring a visa is fairly easy, especially if you meet all the requirements.

Interested in finding out more about UK taxation. Check out our services.

Related Posts

Making UK Tax Digital – UK VAT Submission Changes from 1 April 2019

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has issued formal guidelines on the changes to the UK VAT return submissions which would come into effect next year. VAT return submissions would be the first to see these changes under the Making...

Top 04 Tips for Filing a Self-Assessment Tax for the UK

Your self-assessment tax for the UK is a serious task which needs to be done accurately and timely; if you are a self-employed professional who between the period of April 6 th 2017 and April 5 th 2018 earned over...

Common UK Tax Return Mistakes

Listed are common UK tax return mistakes and the solution to avoiding them. After all, a small mistake filling out that HMRC document can result in you incurring huge losses, so let’s get cracking and avoid those expensive mistakes. What...

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *