Are You a Tenant? Have You Recently Received a Letter From HMRC? – TaxBack

from the blog.

Received a Letter From HMRC

Are You a Tenant? Have You Recently Received a Letter From HMRC?

It is the usual practice of the HMRC to send out letters to tenants where the property is believed to be owned by an overseas company. This article explains more about the letters, Uk tax return, and Paye tax refund.

Why is HMRC Sending These Letters?

HMRC sends out compliance letters to tenants of residential property they believe is owned by an overseas company/trust. This is to make sure that the landlord is paying the correct amount of tax. If your landlord is not resident in the UK, you may have obligations under the non-resident landlord scheme as a tenant.

Who is HMRC Sending the Letter To?

Letters are sent to tenants of residential properties in the UK where information suggests the owner of the property is a company/trust not resident in the UK. The landlord has to pay UK tax on the rental income. The tenant has an obligation to take tax off the rent, before paying it to the landlord, and pay to HMRC. 

I Have Received a Letter; What Should I Do?

There is no legal obligation to respond to the letter, but, responding will enable HMRC to help you to get things right. It is important you answer the questions correctly. If you do not know the answer, reply “not known”. An alternative would be to write to HMRC stating the information you do know.

What Will HMRC Do if I Do Not Reply to the Letter?

There is no legal obligation to respond to the letter. If you do not respond, HMRC would register the property for a tax charge and issue a tax determination to the landlord. As tenant this is not a tax liability for you and would not affect UK tax return or Paye tax refund.

I Am a Tenant; What Are My Obligations?

If you rent a property in the UK, pay more than £100 a week, and your landlord lives abroad you must register with HMRC and deduct tax from your rent. You do not have to register with HMRC or deduct the tax if you pay the rent to a letting agent in the UK. You need to work out and pay the tax to HMRC within 30 days of the end of each tax quarter.

Related Post: What Tax Rates Do Small Businesses Pay?

Related Posts

Important Dates In The UK Financial Year – Key 2020 UK Tax Dates

The UK Tax Year 2019-2020 - Dates to Remember to Avoid Penalties UPDATED: 2nd April 2020 The UK Tax Year runs from 6 April to 5 April of the next year. Within this period, all of your income, whether earned or...

6 ROI’s To Spend Your 2020 Tax Refund On

Got a Tax Refund due in 2020? Here's 6 ways to spend it wisely and maybe even make more money. Are you expecting a tax refund in 2020? Although you deserve to spend it any way you want, you might...

What is the 2019/2020 Tax Code?

In UK tax news, the Personal Allowance amount, or the figure you can earn before paying income tax, will go up to £12,500 for the 2019-20 tax year. The numbers section of tax codes gives this number. For employees it...

Translate »