How To Claim Back Your Tax After Your UK Working Holiday – TaxBack

from the blog.

How To Claim Back Your Tax After Your UK Working Holiday

Travel -1-600x 330

Thinking of travelling to the UK and funding your
adventures with some short-term work? You’re not alone. Each year
the UK plays host to thousands of visitors travelling on a working
holiday visa Tier 5
(Youth Mobility Scheme) visa
. What most folk don’t realise is
that, once you leave and return back home, you are able to claim
back the tax you paid while in the UK. Horrah! Anyway you can claim
back your heard earned cash is worth doing so, so to help you out,
we’ve answered some common questions below.

I am on a Working Holiday Visa. Can I claim a tax

Yes! Given the working holiday visa is just that, a working
holiday, you will only be staying in the UK temporarily. As a
result you will be able to claim a tax refund.

How much Tax can I claim back? Can I claim it all

That really depends on how much you have earned and paid in tax
within the tax year, which runs from 6 April to 5 April the
following year. So for example, if you entered the UK at the start
of March and worked immediately, there would only be one month left
of the tax year. In this case you’d be unlikely to be able to claim
back any tax paid. But this is a worst-case scenario, and most
travellers will work during the summer months for example when the
end of the tax year is still a long way off. For an estimate of
your tax rebate, take a look at this tax
refund calculator

What do I need to claim my tax refund?

At the end of the tax year you should be given a
. You will need this to check and claim your tax refund for
the previous tax year. If you are leaving the UK, make sure your
last employer provides you with a
. Once you have this, you can claim a tax refund.

I have lost my P60/P45, can I still claim a tax

You sure can. It can be a little more
awkward and take longer but it is still possible to claim a tax
refund without a P45 or P60. Just ask all of your employers for a
statement of earnings. This will serve as a replacement for a
P45/P60 for the UK’s Inland Revenue. More info can be found
claiming tax back without a P45/P60

I was on a working holiday visa but have since returned
to my home country, can I still claim a rebate?

Of course! Even if you have returned home, you can still claim a
tax refund from when you worked in the UK, as long as you are
making your claim for tax paid within the last 6 years. So don’t
hang about.

How long does it take to claim a tax

If you have your P60/P45 you can expect to wait around 40-45 days
to claim your money back. If you need to get a replacement P60/P45,
it can take a little longer, but you’ll get it back eventually so
it’s worth the wait.

Where can I apply for an HMRC Tax Refund

You can lodge your application for free online via the HMRC
website. Follow the below link to the HMRC

Alternatively, you can file your online application via our
website now. Our agents will review your
information and then contact you with any questions. You could also
call our UK based office to discuss your application and we can
make sure you’ve claimed for everything you are eligible for. This
could include work travel expenses, clothing, business mileage or
even part of your rent and service costs if you’ve been working
from home. We can also assist you in claiming back up to four
previous tax years, meaning you could claim back your 2015-16 tax
year, 2014-15 tax year, 2013-14 tax year and 2012-13 tax years.

For more information on how to lodge your UK Tax Return online
fill out our online form or give our team a call on the below

We hope you’ve enjoyed your UK working holiday and look forward
to helping you raise some funds for your next journey.


Related Posts

UK Tax Travel Guides : Top Backpacking Tips

UK Tax Money Saving Travel Guides : Top Backpacking Tips The best part about backpacking is that anyone can do it. Whether you’re a millionaire or on a shoestring budget – travelling this way is for everyone. If you’re trying...

UK Tax Travel Guides : Simple ways to Save Money

UK Tax Money Saving Travel Guides : Simple ways to Save Money Whether you’re saving money for a deposit on a home, or you want to start planning your next travels, every little bit you can save will help. However,...

UK Tax Travel Guides : Beating the Treat Yourself Mentality

UK Tax Money Saving Travel Guides : Beating the Treat Yourself Mentality We’ve all heard the phrase ‘treat yourself’ and have probably all seen the countless memes which are out there expressing the same thing. And it’s probably something that...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *