PAYE Tax and Tax on Other Benefits - National Insurance - Tax Back

from the blog.

PAYE Tax and Tax on Other Benefits

Following the end of tax year 2017, you’re likely to be working out your tax return to check if your PAYE Tax qualifies you for a tax refund UK taxman offers.

Whether or not HMRC will send you overpaid or underpaid tax calculations heavily depend on how much tax your employer paid through the PAYE scheme.

PAYE Tax and Tax on Other Benefits – What is PAYE Tax?

Before you can claim tax back, you must first pay tax on your taxable income. As an employee in the UK, you must pay income tax that your employer directly deducts from your pay at the end of each week or month.

The tax deducted from your salary through ‘Pay As You Earn’ or ‘PAYE’ serves as your contribution to central government spending on education, health, transport, and other benefits.

You also pay tax on company benefits like loans, accommodation, medical insurance, and cars.

The good news is some benefits are tax-free, such as mobile phones, subsidized meals, child care provision, parking provision, and Christmas parties and other events.

PAYE Tax Refunds and Tax on Other Benefits- What are tax codes and allowances?

HMRC will allocate a tax code for you that will tell your employer how much tax to deduct from your income and the amount you’re allowed to earn before tax is paid. A tax code is usually a combination of a letter and numbers like L535, with the last three digits indicating the base amount you are allowed to earn before paying tax.

i.e If you multiply 535 by 10, your earning before tax is £5,350.

Personal allowance, on the other hand, is the amount you earn tax-free.

For the tax year 2016-2017, the amount is £11,000 and for 2017-2018 an additional £500. Anything you earn above this rate is taxable by 20%, 40%, or 45%.

You may wish to work it out yourself with self assessment UK 

Why pay National Insurance (NI)?

Your National Insurance contributions (NICs) pay towards your state pension and any social security benefits you can take advantage of. How much you pay will depend on your income and is also deducted through the PAYE system.

The current NIC rate for most employees is 9%.

National Insurance may also be imposed on company benefits, especially those that are paid in cash or those that you can sell, such as a gift from your employer. But NIC for other benefits you get from your job is paid by your employer instead.

Overpaying or underpaying tax

Between the two, overpaying tax is better since you qualify for a tax refund. This can happen if:

  • You were given an emergency tax code when you started working
  • The wrong tax code was used by your employer
  • You only worked for part of the year
  • Worked more than one job at the same time
  • One became self-employed, made redundant, or retired

If any of these happened to you, the Tax Refund UK rules will allow you to claim tax back. If you underpaid tax, however, you must pay it sooner to avoid penalties.

In the event that you received a tax refund even if you underpaid tax, inform HMRC right away. Don’t spend the money that you’ll have to return. Refer to your payslips or P45 form to determine if you can claim tax back or you have to pay HMRC.

Do you need help with your tax return or self-assessment at the end of tax year 2017? Seek professional advice from tax experts, particularly those specialising in UK tax returns online, tax refund UK, and tax rebate services.

Related Posts

UK Taxation for Foreign Residents

Tax Refunds UK Expats Can Claim As an employed expat in the UK, you are obliged to file a UK tax return and also claim tax refunds UK taxpayers are entitled to. Not all taxpayers can claim a refund on...

What is the 2019/20 PAYE Tax Code?

Could You Be Due for Tax Refunds? UK Taxpayers Time to Get Updated! Check the PAYE tax codes and seek tax refunds, UK taxpayers are eligible to claim from HMRC for any overpaid income tax! Under the wrong PAYE tax...

First Time Workers

Are You Within the Self-assessment Tax Return or PAYE System? The definition of whether you are employed or on a self-assessment tax return for self-employed, as a first time worker in the UK, will make a difference to the amount...

Leave a Reply

Translate »