What Is Emergency Tax? – TaxBack

from the blog.

What Is Emergency Tax?

Tax -deductions -2011-calculator -i8If your employer does not know
what your tax code should be, you will be taxed on an ’emergency’
code. This means that you receive no tax-free personal allowance so
everything you earn will be taxed at 20%. Although you can claim
back overpaid tax from HMRC, it is better to get your code changed
as soon as possible, so you are given the correct allowance and pay
the right amount. To do this, you should give your employer your
P45. If you are put on the emergency code, you will be given a tax
free allowance of £11,000, above which you will then start paying

For most employees this will be correct, as it is the basic
personal allowance and assumes that you are entitled to 1/12 of the
allowance each month. However, it does not take into account any
backlog of allowance that may be due to you – for example,
following a period of unemployment. For this reason your employer
may have to adjust the coding in some cases. As with this code, you
need to contact your employer straight away and give them your P45
in order to make sure you get the correct tax code!

For more tax info, call our contact number on +44 (0)20 3751 1266
or use our handy
tax calculator to calculate what you
could be owed.

Related Posts

Getting your owed money from Tax Refund Services in UK

Do you really prefer to spend your time filling out and editing tax forms, hoping that you will receive a tax refund, after all that work? Even after ensuring that all your paperwork is done correctly, how likely are you...

Self-Employed Individuals Encouraged to Reach New Deadlines for Tax Returns

The COVID-19 crisis is having far-reaching financial effects on individuals and companies alike in the UK and around the world. The Low Income Tax Reform Group (LITRG) says that self-employed individuals who have yet to submit their 2018/19 self-assessment tax...

Tips for Filing Your 2020 Self-Assessment Tax Return

If you were self-employed from 6th April 2018 to 5th April 2019 and have earned more than £ 1000, then you need to file a self-assessment tax return and pay any tax that you owe before 31 January. Self-Assessment is...

Leave a Reply

Translate »