What To Know For Working In The UK – TaxBack

from the blog.

What To Know For Working In The UK

Three Things To Know If You’re Planning To Work In The UK

The UK, especially London, is one of the most attractive places in Europe for people who are looking for job opportunities abroad. For one thing, citizens from nearly all European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are free to enter and live in the country without needing to apply for permission.

Working In UK

For another, the country attracts lots of international businesses, providing wide job opportunities for individuals of all skill levels. Many foreign nationals in particular have advantage over other British citizens for their fluency in at least more than one language. There is always a need for foreign speakers in the field of education, engineering, sales and even some government offices.

So, if you are looking for a job opportunity in the UK, there is a good chance you will land a good one. But first thing first, know the basic requirements.

National Insurance

Before you start job hunting and after you arrive in the country, you will need to get a National Insurance number.
This state benefit program covers job seeker’s allowance, state pension as well as employment and support allowance, among others. The contribution amount will be based on your income.

To apply for a National Insurance Number, just give the Jobcentre Plus a call at 0845 600 0643 from 8 am to 6 pm, Monday to Friday. You will either be invited to an Evidence-of-Identity interview, or be sent a postal application. The centre will inform you about the documents you need to submit for the application process as well explain the details of the interview.

After completing your application or passing the interview, wait for up to 12 weeks to receive your National Insurance card. And while waiting, you can start applying or working-the important thing is you already have your National Insurance number.


All earning British citizen and resident are required to pay their tax contribution. This can range from 10 percent to 15 percent, depending on your income level or tax class.

Your contribution will be automatically deducted from your salary regularly through the Pay As You Earn – PAYE Tax Refunds program along with your National Insurance contribution.

You may wish to use Self Assessment UK to deal with your UK Tax Returns when the time comes.

Working Permit & Qualifications

Nationals from most EU and EEA member states as well as some other countries are not required an entry clearance or work permit. If you are from non-member or -partner country though, you need to secure one. Take note that work permits are issued base on a point system, so you might need to pay attention to that. If you come to
the country on an Intra-Company Transfer (in other words, expat assignment) or have a job offer, on the other hand, your employee will apply for the permit on your behalf.

They will act as your sponsor. However, you still have the responsibility to meet UK’s basic working requirements.

One of which is English language skill. While there is a demand for foreign languages, English is still main language spoken, especially in business. So you might need to brush up on that one. Several British universities are offering English courses. There’s the University of Cambridge’s ESOL program, College of Excellence’s CIELT certificate, and many others. You can check out this list of English Language Tests approved by the UK’s Border Agency.

Have you found the perfect job and are now trying to understand UK’s tax law or need help filing tax refund? Check out our taxation services and let us make the process easier for you.

Related Posts

Common UK Tax Return Mistakes

Listed are common UK tax return mistakes and the solution to avoiding them. After all, a small mistake filling out that HMRC document can result in you incurring huge losses, so let’s get cracking and avoid those expensive mistakes. What...

Beat the Clock – Claim Your UK Tax Returns

Time to get the wheels turning for your 2014/2015 UK tax returns, and you need to act fast, before the year ends in April 2019. Beat the clock and get back those tax rebates, HMRC needs proof and are quite...

Time to Get Your UK Self-Assessment Tax Return Started

In 2017/18 a pretty impressive percentage of Brits got their UK self-assessment tax return spot on! In fact, it was a record breaking figure with an impressive 93.68% getting in their tax return claims on time, out of which 700,000...

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *