Top 04 Tips for Filing a Self-Assessment Tax for the UK – TaxBack

from the blog.

Top 04 Tips for Filing a Self-Assessment Tax for the UK

Top 04 Tips for Filing a Self-Assessment Tax for the UK

Your self-assessment tax for the UK is a serious task which needs to be done accurately and timely; if you are a self-employed professional who between the period of April 6 th 2017 and April 5 th 2018 earned over 1,000 pounds you must file that self-assessment tax form and pay any dues to HMRC.
Now, we know this is a rather confusing and time consuming task for you freelancers and self-employed folks, which is why the following tips will be quite the lifeline, do read on!

Get help with Your Self-assessment Tax for the UK – Hire an Accountant

Yes, it’s as simple as that! Hiring the services of a qualified accountant is the ticket in getting that self-assessment for tax done right. Accountants, unlike you freelancers and self-employed people, know which beneficial deductions to make, such as;
 Depreciation of indispensable equipment your home-based business will be using
 Use of your home based office space
 Adding a percentage of your utility bills as overhead costs to your business
Having a professional tax consultant is key; when submitting an accurate self-assessment tax return in
the UK, and for not over paying than what is due.

Make Sure You are Registered with HMRC

Register yourself with HMRC and avoid any problems you may have with regards to your self-assessed tax returns. As you start your new business, make sure to jot down ‘register with HMRC’ as a priority amongst coming up with an awesome website, getting your workspace together and printing business cards, you get it right, registering with HMRC is part of the procedure when setting up your own business; plus, you are not liable to ‘get caught out’ at the end of the tax year when HMRC comes knocking at your door.

Don’t Ignore the Tax Return Deadlines

There are two deadlines, one for a paper return and one for an online tax return. The latter is set to a later date, generally January 31 st following the end of a tax year, which also happens to be when you must pay your tax. It’s no light matter if by February you have still not filed your tax returns, you could be facing an ‘initial’ 100 pound fine; more could follow!

Your Self-Assessment Tax Return Must Be All-Inclusive Don’t hold back, it’s wrong to assume that HMRC will not be focusing on your small time eBay
businesses, for instance, they do receive updates of all these little deals and ventures. In 2018 eBay released the UK retail accounts which showed over 1065 UK based retailers who clocked in a turnover of over 1 million pounds in just UK based sales. So, hold nothing back, list it all and save yourself the trouble of getting fined and penalised.

Related Posts

Travel on a Shoestring Without Depriving Yourself

Mastering the Art of Travel Budget Travelling the world doesn't have to leave you broke when you return home. Even if you visit London or other parts of the UK that are dubbed as expensive places to visit, you can...

Munching on Good Food in the UK for Less

Dine with Great Food for Less Even when you're a non-resident in the UK, you are still eligible for UK tax refunds if you've overpaid tax on income you received in the UK. This is not an excuse to splurge...

UK Travel without Spending More

Saving Money While Travelling in the UK There are perks to overpaying income tax. You'll receive UK tax refunds that you can use to fund your travel to other destinations. Think of it as an excuse to take a break...

Leave a Reply